Stainless Steel Woven Wire Varroa Mite Mesh
2.47mm hole heavy duty stainless steel varroa mite floor made from 0.71mm wire. 2.47mm aperture is fairly large to be woven to form a mesh netting, consequently it requires a thick wire to produce. Most importantly, this mesh is strong and long lasting.
Below is a breakdown of the key characteristics of this stainless steel mesh:
- Bending & Forming – Good. You could bend this mesh by hand and it would retain its shape
- Corrosion Resistance – Very good. 304 grade stainless steel offers good resistance to many corrosive elements, however 316 is preferable for marine and aquatic applications
- Heat Resistance – Good. 304 grade stainless steel offers a good level of resistance to heat
- Machinability – Good. Mild steel is the metal choice for many forms of machining and grinding, but stainless steel can also offer good results
- Welding – Very good. You could easily weld with this mesh to suit your requirements
- Painting – Poor. We suggest that a mild steel product is used when a layer of paint needs to be applied. Galvanised and stainless steel will not take paint
There are many reasons to use galvanised steel mesh for your mesh requirement. Above all, it allows for great airflow while providing strength and structure.
Stainless Steel Woven Wire Mesh
Below are the specifications of this 2.47mm wire heavy duty mesh:
- Mesh Count = 8 holes per linear inch
- Holes / Wires Per Square Inch = 64 holes per square inch
- Wire Thickness = 0.71mm
- Hole Size / Aperture = 2.47mm
- Open Area % = 60%
- Cut With – We cut this mesh with tin snips. We suggest that you do the same
Filters out particles larger than 2.5mm.
Varroa Mite Floor
Allows for ideal hive ventilation. The perfect hole size for the dreaded varroa mite.
Varroa mites are an external parasitic mite that attacks honey bees these attacks cause a disease known as Varroatosis. They can only thrive in a honey bee colony and, if unchecked, can spell the end of a hive.
The solution is simple – a woven wire mesh flooring. As the mites fall off their bee hosts they will fall through the mesh. This will prevent them from crawling back up to the bees (as they would be able to with a wooden floor).
Up to 60% of mites could be removed from the hive with this simple approach, moreover using a varroa mesh floor also provides essential ventilation for the colony. In conclusion, varroa mesh floors give air to your hive and make a filter to block varroa mites.
Hive Size Options:
- National Hive – 450mm x 450mm. These panels of mesh are designed to fit perfectly into a ‘National’ style hive
- Langstroth Hive – 400mm x 500mm. These panels of mesh are designed to fit perfectly into a ‘Langstroth’ style hive
The Mesh Company specialises in plain weave woven wire mesh. Woven mesh is made on a loom by crossing each warp wire alternately above and below every weft wire, and vice versa. Warp and weft wires are normally of the same diameter.
Most commercial applications and filtration systems requiring high flow rates use this type of mesh. The wires are loose, but the weave is tight so the structure is strong.
Weaving the wires allows for the smallest hole size possible out of all mesh types.
140 years of experience goes into producing this mesh.
About The Mesh Company
In 2008 Locker Wire Weavers launched The Mesh Company to bring our enormous range of wire mesh products to the general public for the first time. Previously wire mesh was only available for trade customers.
We continue to extend our range, and now proudly offer many forms of mesh and metal products for the best possible prices. We specialise in woven wire mesh. As a group we work closely with architects and designers to develop ground-breaking new applications for our multifunctional range of materials. We also offer state of the art fabrication and engineering for projects of all sizes.
Strong ties with the Warrington community continue to be at the very core of our business. We are proud to invest in the training and developing our staff of all levels in line with the traditions set by Thomas Locker, who founded our group 150 years ago when he invented the electronic loom. We continue to bring ingenuity and strong ethics to our day to day business.
The Mesh Company continues Warrington’s historic role in the wire industry. For more than 140 years, our group has been a leader in the supply and manufacture of woven wire mesh and wire cloth. Having been founded in Warrington, UK in 1878, Locker mesh products still retain the quality craftsmanship and spirit of innovation that were so characteristic then.
You will find the range of mesh panel sizes available here offer a wide range of options, that have been designed to suit most requirements. Please be advised that the majority of woven mesh is usually available in a maximum roll size of 30 metres by 1200mm. Please email us if you wish to discuss purchasing these larger sheets – email@example.com.
Feel free to call us if you wish to discuss any of our products – (+ 44) 01925 406 602. We are always happy to help in any way that we are able to.
We also offer this product through our highly popular eBay store, check us out there too.